The easiest way to control people is to silence them.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Entry Two


This is Rewel. My hand aches from yesterday’s writing. This scribble is unpracticed and messy, but the safest things are only pen and paper. Speakers cannot read.

The city stretches as far as the eye can see, out to the horizon, with an occasional white tower stabbing the sky. There is one of us per tower: a room at the very top. There are few windows, big enough to show more white city, but too small to fit through. Perhaps that is why the people only have one story buildings. There is furniture made of hard plastic, a bed that is soft with white linens, and a desk with a computer. The computer is a transmitter serving only to communicate my needs, which may or may not be responded to. The paper was not here before, nor was the pen.

I assume someone came in to put them here, so I carry both pen and paper with me everywhere. If someone put it here, surely they want to know what I would write. The paper is starting to crumple as I leave often and wander the empty echoes of the city. I would show someone down there the paper, if I knew they wouldn’t fear it, but the people fear everything. So I meander in their hollow footsteps and wait until my services are required. It has only been a day since the rain and I already miss the sound. The sound…

The transmitter runs a neuron pulse through Wernicke’s area: “Thief Rewel, your services are required.” 

1 comment:

  1. Response to both this one and the first one:

    You have some very interesting phrases and its topic, the written word, is clear. I liked the phrase "White tower stabbing at the sky". I like the language from the first day better. In particular things like "leisurely urgency" and "There is a lack of growth in the gardens as most topsoil has been dead for years, but there are some who like to pretend, with a timeless ficus dotting the occasional garden".

    That said. I'm lacking a visual of the speaker. Which may be the point, I don't know. The world they live in is clearly not the same as ours, or at least not current, and I'm not sure if she is the same, physically, as we are or not.

    For some reason I'm reminded of the online comic you showed me a couple months ago. I can't remember the name.

    ReplyDelete